Monday, March 7, 2011

Entertainment Industry

I have never, ever, ever been a lover of the entertainment industry. I don't like the fact that just because these people are considered "famous" that it gives them the right to the lime-light 24/7. No offense, but why do should I care about how insane Charlie Sheen is, who had the best fashion at the Oscar's, Lindsay Lohan and a jewelry heist, Brittney Spears' new release...? Give it a rest.

I have more respect for actors/artists/athletes who show us their "talents" and then live their own lives. Since they do get paid a ridiculous amount of money- I think it is great when they donate to charity organizations or make appearances at events for fundraisers, auctions, youth, military. But, and this is a big BUT, it makes me so sad that people idolize them, want to be them, and envy them.

How many "celebs" have gone through:
  • breakdowns
  • depression
  • attempted suicide (or succeeded)
  • done some ridiculous stunt for more TV coverage
  • been caught committing a felony, and let off
  • sex scandals
  • etc.
They may feel that they are NOT "role models," sadly the media has portrayed them to be. Money, fame, status... that's what the media tells us is important.

I'd love to see news about children/youth/everyday people inventing better ways to capture natural energy, donating their time to a charity effort, neighbors uniting together to clean up a local park so children can play debris free, a rally for the adoption of animals in a humane society, kids writing letters to troops, baby items donated to a local woman's shelter. ANYTHING POSITIVE. Anything to do with you & me. Not "them."


Speaking of that, this should have been on the news:
"U.S. Largely Unaware of Sacrifice"

My mom had mentioned many times that most military families are just that. A long line of military history, grandfathers, fathers, sons/daughters... most people who join the military had a family member who served prior to them. I look at my husband... who joined after his grandfather, uncle, & sister. This is true. So when I read this article, the following quote stuck out:

"Service to and sacrifice for the nation have become a legacy affair for a relatively small number of families."

I pray that others start realizing what's going on in the real world, not the picture the media paints for us marred with actor's drug overdoses, the latest sex scandal, and "what's hot" this season.

5 comments:

  1. While I largely agree with your opinions on the entertainment industry, I disagree that someone who is depressed or has attempted suicide cannot be a role model. Depression is a serious disease. Many people who are considered good role models have suffered from depression: Buzz Aldrin, Drew Carey, Winston Chuchill, J.K. Rowling, etc.

    I'm not trying to be a blog troll, but I've spent years researching depression and other neurological disorders so this topic is near and dear to my heart.

    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole-

    I think I should have re-phrased how I said that, I apologize... I do agree that depression is a disease, I have friends who suffer from it.

    I was just fed up with hearing about "so-and-so" doing "such-and-such" when there are plenty of other things we could be discussing... say, neurological disorders- things that will help us in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just watching some reality show commercial and all the girls were talking about how they had "always wanted to be in Playboy". I just found that sad. Out of everything you could possibly want to do in life, you only want to take off your clothes for money?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Nicole and I'm glad you clarified.


    I have bipolar so I definitely was ready to get offended at that haha. People with mental illnesses most definitely can and be and are amazing role models; and overcoming, dealing with, and raising awareness about these illnesses can make people some of the best role models I've seen.


    But I do understand where you're coming from, and I agree.

    I think it's messed up that there are hourly updates on someone's court dates or tweets but not about anything that truly MATTERS.

    People spend their entire lives absorbed with these celebrities' every move instead of putting their time toward something worthwhile.

    It's sad and frivolous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beckie,
    I'm sorry for any offense... I also know someone who is bipolar, so I know how neurological/mental illnesses go... I was frustrated. I didn't mean that people who suffer from those can't be role models, I never even said celebrities couldn't. I said that many of them feel they are NOT role models, yet they are in the media all the time, thus making them role models because the general populations sees & hears them 100x more than they would hear from you, about your experiences. Sadly most of the reports are negative.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! =)