- ONLY buying- fruits/veggies, meats, milk/juice
- USING anything/everything in the cupboards
Enter one of my mom's lovely bridal shower gifts to me: "The Cake Mix Doctor." I LOVE this book, it takes a simple cake mix and turns it into something amazing!
I made this yesterday afternoon to take to our Bible Study that evening, the result- Everyone raved & wanted the recipe.
Orange Rum Zum
- Vegetable spray & Flour for misting/dusting pan I used crisco spray & whole wheat flour
- 1 package (18.25oz) plain yellow cake mix I actually used classic white
- 1 package (3.4oz) vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 cup fresh orange juice (approx 5 oranges) or from carton I used Simply Orange
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 4 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp grated orange zest I used 2
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- Make sure rack is in the center of the oven, pre-heat to 350*
- Lightly mist your bundt pan with vegetable spray then dust with flour- shake out excess flour
- Place cake mix, pudding mix, orange juice, melted butter, rum, eggs, and orange zest in a large mixing bowl. Blend with a hand mixer on low speed for 1min, stop and scrape down sides of bowl with a spatula. Then on medium speed beat for 2min. The batter should be thick and smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with spatula. Place in oven.
- Bake for 45-50min, until it springs back when lightly touched and has just begun to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from oven, place (in pan) on a wire cooling rack for 20min.
- Run a long knife around the edges, invert onto serving tray to finish cooling.
- Prepare the glaze- place butter, sugar, rum, & orange juice in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and stir constantly for 2min. Remove from heat.
- Poke holes in the top of the cake with toothpick/wooden skewer.
- Spoon the warm glaze over the cake, allowing it to run down the sides and center.
- Cool completely before slicing.
The orange slices on top were my little addition... I sprinkled them with sugar then baked them in my toaster oven for 20min at 225* (draining the foil they were on every 5min).